You are not logged in.

#1 Monster Hunter  [Mon Apr 18th, 2016 05:34]

Matty G
No Games

I don't know how many of your actually still browse here, but lately I've found a great timesink in Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate for the 3DS. It's a Capcom series which is stupidly popular in Japan because they love their handheld vidya.

The games take some time before getting into killing the bigger beasts, such as basic gathering and killing small fry as well as basic control, but in the long run it's actually really great as an action game. You kill a big monster several times to make weapons and fursuits out of their parts to help kill other bigger monsters faster so you can continue the cycle. There's a ton of replay value in all the different weapon types which all practically have their own unique movesets and niches, as well as all the different monster types. You start small with creatures like the Great Jaggi and Kecha Wacha, then onto wyverns like Rathalos and Tigrex as well as other intimidating things like Daimyo Hermitaur and Zinogre, and some more brutal ones like Rajang, Brachydios, and Deviljho who all want to tear you a new asshole.

Previous games on the PSP, the tougher Freedom Unite (rough hitboxes!) and the easier Portable 3rd (needs translation patch) can be emulated via PPSSPP on your computer or smartphone just fine these days. 3 Ultimate can be played on the 3DS and Wii U, but 4 Ultimate and the upcoming Generations (X in Japan which is already released there) are 3DS only with a N3DS getting some performance and texture improvements in them. They're also the only 3DS titles with online play by themselves.

If you have a 3DS, I suggest looking at the MH4U demo to get an idea of what it is like. A Circle Pad Pro for older models will really help with camera adjustments, though it is somewhat playable without; you'll just have to rely on the target camera and virtual D-Pad instead. Though his earlier videos are a bit rough, Gaijinhunter has a whole heap of tutorials and pointers for both 4U and Generations which you might find useful.

Does anyone else here play MH? Is anyone interested now?

Last edited by Matty G (Mon Apr 18th, 2016 05:35)

Board footer